The Adelphi, built in 1917 for the
Ascher Brothers circuit, was designed by local architect J.E.O. Pridmore.
The theater stood on Clark Street at Estes Avenue in Chicago's Rogers
In the 1930s, the Adelphi received an Art Deco remodeling. The theater
was modernized during the 1940s and again in the 1950s. It began to show
second-run features starting in the late 1960s, and closed briefly in
the early 1980s, after several years screening Spanish movies.
In the mid 1980s, the Adelphi reopened as the North Shore Theater, but
was again known as the Adelphi when it began to show East Indian films
and became the premiere venue for Bollywood features in the Chicagoland
area, despite its down-on-the-heels appearance both inside and out.
The Adelphi closed in January 2002. Sadly, the still-viable theater was
demolished in January 2006.